Happy New Year! To kick the 2021 calendar year off on the right note, I’m releasing version one of my 2021 draft eligible goaltender data.
The 2021 dataset will be focusing on rebound control and quickness. Each will have their Tableau page/chart.
Before I continue and explain the charts, I just want to list the goaltenders that I have tracked and will be tracking. Names are subject to change.
- Spencer Knight (Florida Panthers – draft year data)
- Yaroslav Askarov (Nashville Predators – draft year data)
- Jesper Wallstedt (Luleå)
- Maxim Motorygin (Dynamo Moscow)
- William Jupiter (HV71)
- Viggo Andrén (Frölunda)
- Vsevolod Skotnikov (CSKA Moscow)
- Jacob Goobie (Charlottetown)
- Tomas Suchanaek (HC Ocelari Trinec)
- Kaiden Mbereko (USNTDP)
- Noah Patenaude (Saint John)
- Juuso Helomaa (Ässät)
- Carl Lindbom (Djurgårdens)
- William Rousseau (Quebec)
- Sebastian Wraneschitz (UPC Vienna)
- Tristan Lennox (Saginaw)
- Benjamin Gaudreau (Sarnia)
- Sebastian Cossa (Edmonton)
- Joe Vrbetic (North Bay)
- Henri Risikko (Jokerit)
- Marcus Brännman (Örebro)
- William Håkansson (Växjö)
- Tucker Tynan (Niagara)
- Pavel Kanaev (Spartak Moscow)
- Talyn Boyko (Tri-City)
- Braden Holt (Everett)
- Thomas Milic (Seattle)
- Drew Sim (Vancouver)
- Brett Brochu (London)
- Yegor Naumov (Loko Yaroslavl)
- Brock Grould (Moose Jaw)
- Platon Zadorozhny (Spartak Moscow)
- Carter Serhyneko (Prince Albert)
- Grant Riley (Tri-City)
- Nikita Quapp (Ravensburg)
- Nick Malik (Sault Ste. Marie)
- Aku Koskenvuo (HIFK)
- Fabio Iacobo (Victoriaville)
- Patrik Hamrla (Karlovy Vary)
- Noah Grannan (Sioux Falls)
- Emerik Despatie (Gatineau)
- Pavel Cajan (Kitchener)
- Jed Baliotti (Green Bay)
- Taylor Gauthier (Prince George)
Spencer Knight and Yaroslav Askarov’s data have been added to serve as a bench mark, so you can understand how these goaltenders compare to two first round goaltenders in years’ past.
For the goaltenders who are playing in the OHL/WHL, should their season not happen and those goaltenders are not loaned out, I will be tracking data from their 2019-2020 campaign. I’m waiting till mid-to-late January to see if there is any news regarding a return date.
In addition, there are a few European, American and QMJHL goaltenders that I still need to track (from the list above) and have yet to track. I will be adding those goaltenders over the coming weeks.
My quickness tableau chart shows up/down time and side/side time. Up/down time is an average of how long it takes goaltenders to go from standing to down on the ice. Side/side time is how long it takes goaltenders to go from side to side in net. These times are an average and they were timed using an iPhone stopwatch. To be transparent, in order to be timed, the goaltender had to face a shot. So, I was not timing a goaltender’s side to side movement without a shot on net. Same with up/down time.
To access the quickness chart, please click here.
My rebound tableau chart shows uncontrolled rebound percentage of total saves and controlled rebound percentage of total saves. Uncontrolled rebounds are shots that rebound off the goaltender and the goaltender is unable to secure the puck immediately. Controlled rebounds are shots that rebound, but the goaltender is able to scoop up quickly.
If the goaltender is towards the top right of the chart, that means that the goaltender has a low uncontrolled rebound percentage and a low controlled rebound percentage. So, in a nutshell, they don’t cough up many rebounds.
To access the rebound chart, please click here.
If you are interested in looking at the raw data or are interested in looking at a goaltender who is not on my list, please contact me over DM. My Twitter handle is @JoshTessler_.